Chroma 4×5 Advanced Large Format Field Camera
After a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2018, this is the first retail release of a limited number of Chroma Cameras. Based on the original design drawn in 2016, this version has undergone numerous iterations and improvements to the point that this is now one of the most featured/affordable large format field cameras available at this price. It’s also highly customisable in a range of colours to allow you to build a camera that’s as unique as you are.
Front Rise/Fall – 25mm each way
Front Shift – 25mm each way
Front Tilt – Limited by lens coverage each way
Front Swing – 50 degrees each way
Rear Tilt – Limited by lens coverage forwards, 17 degrees backwards
Maximum bellows extension: 300mm
Minimum bellows extension: 65mm
Folded Dimensions: 220x170x120mm
The Chroma has been designed by myself, with support from the analogue community, with functionality and control being the two primary objectives. The design includes;
- Split independent control of front rise/fall and tilt to provide very accurate movements.
- Accurate focussing bed design/method which uses a rear mounted focusing knob with slide out extension bar and central lead screw for much finer focusing and no need to lock the focus in place.
- Infinitely adjustable front standard positioning on the focusing bed. There are two locking knobs which, when loosened, allow the standard to slide backwards/forwards to position it for your lenses. You no longer need to unscrew the front standard entirely to move positions and the standard is left secured to the bed when folding the camera down.
- Combined 3D printed/acrylic rear standard mounts for rigidity and weight saving.
- 3D printed front standard uprights for smooth movements, with integrated magnets at zero rise/fall and tilt.
- Slim main focusing bed to reduce weight, without compromising on rigidity.
- Front standard uses a friction/click lock for the vertical rather than the older style locking plate on each side. This both simplifies the opening/closing of the camera and reduces the number of moving parts.
- Integrated bullseye spirit levels on both front/rear standards and focusing bed to ensure a level starting point.
All cameras will be built using matte black acrylic as their base colour. However, on ordering you can choose which accent colour you would like for your camera, along with the option of coloured inlaid text on the back of the ground glass cover. The accent parts will be;
Top layer of the focusing bed
Outside base pieces for the front standard
Outside rear uprights
Ground glass holder
Cover of rear focusing knob
Front plate of lens surround
Both included lens boards
The inlaid text can either be all the same colour, a selection of colours or left as a cutout. Some examples are below;
All Chroma cameras come included with a custom 0.4mm pinhole lens board and a second plain lens board in whichever shutter size you require. These will be the same colour as your accent colour choice. Either specify the shutter size you require when ordering, or send me an email with your requirement afterwards.
The lead time for each camera will be 12-14 weeks and you will receive regular status updates regarding their completion.